Aaron's Grandma, Marian Laird has been ill for sometime. A couple years ago, she moved out of her home and into an assisted living facility. In October, she was hospitalized and we received an email from family members with an update on her status. We could definitely see that she was in pain and while she wasn't admitted to hospice care, it looked like she was headed in that direction. Unfortunately she passed away on October 16. Aaron was very close to his Grandma and she was always very supportive and loving. She lived a very full and happy life. Her husband passed away before Aaron was born and I'm sure they are having a sweet reunion. We knew we needed to go to Utah to attend her funeral, which was on Saturday, October 20.
Aaron had an orthodontics interview in Alabama and we were able to switch his flights around so he flew to Utah late Friday night and then back to Richmond on Sunday. I luckily was not scheduled to work at the hospital that Saturday and when I let my boss know about the situation, he was incredibly understanding and told me to take the time I needed. So I flew out early Friday morning and was able to attend the viewing on Friday with everyone. Aaron and I were supposed to be on similar red-eye flights (we were on different airlines) Sunday night, but I accidentally booked the wrong one and had to go home on Saturday instead (blessing in disguise: I got the flu I think and was able to recover on Sunday).
We had a lovely day celebrating her life and her funeral was sweet. Each grandchild got to share what Grandma meant to them and all of us sang a primary song together. We then went to the graveside and shared a few moments there.
We were so grateful we were able to attend and when Aaron's aunt Jeri found out we would all be there - she scheduled a photographer for after the graveside to snatch a few photos of the entire family together as not everyone was able to attend Nicole's wedding. We had lunch provided to us by some members of Grandma's ward.
That night we had fun with Aaron's parents and siblings and family and we went to Cornbelly's for some fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment