Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Texas Two-Step

I went to Texas twice - once by myself in January - to complete some bookkeeping and taxes items for my parents (yes, I still work for them) and get my invisalign started with my orthodontist. I also had a fun time hanging out with my parents and eating the good food that we usually do.

In March, both Aaron and I went. I went for an invisalign check up and for work business. This trip, I was able to take off the following Monday from work so it was a nice long weekend. Aaron and I flew out of Reagan in DC because it was ridiculously cheaper, so we had Eric/Darien take us to/from the airport. Unfortunately, our flight out of Reagan was delayed early Saturday morning! We were flying AirTran and there was a missing latch on a fire extinguisher and so we couldn't take off until it was fixed about 3 hours later - we missed our connection in Atlanta, so there was massive rerouting. Lucky Southwest and Airtran are merged-ish now becuase we were able to connect to a Southwest flight in Atlanta and make to Houston in a decent amount of time. However, we also got a free round trip for the future and free food in Atlanta!



My parents picked us up and we headed to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo - a Houston tradition for the month of March! Mom and I suited up in our cowgirl boots and we had fun visiting the fair, watching the rodeo, and then enjoyed a concert by Chris Young. We completed the night with Goode Co barbecue and some fried oreos for dessert.






Let it be known that Kristy Crabtree ate a fried oreo and LIKED it.
On Monday, Aaron started his week of shadowing orthodontists and hanging out with my parents. I had my orthodontist appointment and then finished up some work, and then I had to fly back to Richmond that night. Aaron spent the rest of the week playing golf and gluing on brackets. From there, Aaron went to Orlando for the ADEA (American Dental Education Association) conference. He is the president of the VCU chapter, so he was able to go and network on VCU's dime! I wished that I could have gone with him also, but he spent most of his time in classes, so it wouldn't have been worth it. He stayed at the Pop Century hotel which he described as "quirky" and basically was in classes and networking the entire time. Seems sort of silly to visit Orlando and no go to Harry Potter World/Disney World but I guess we'll just have to go another time!


No comments: