Saturday, February 20, 2010

Valentine's Day 2010

If only we could go to New York and have it become summertime for Valentine's Day.

Aaron and I had a fairly low-key Valentine's Day.

Saturday night, we went to the Ipanema Cafe. My mom looked this place up online for Aaron and I months ago and we just barely went. The owner's motto is"

 "I'm not anti-meat, I'm pro-vegetable"

The restaurant is actually pretty much on VCU's campus...3 blocks from where I go to school (Aaron attends school at the medical campus about a mile away). It's a good thing my classes are at night because if I was on campus everyday for lunch I would definitely be hitting up Ipanema all the time.

Aaron had Udon Noodles with Tofu and vegetables and it had amazing flavors of cumin and ginger. I kept stealing noodles from his plate. I had BBQ Seitan (like tofu) with vegan mac and cheese, collared greens, and quinoa cornbread. MMMM. The mac and cheese was so delicious. 

Then we had dessert. I am always up for something chocolate so the Brownie was an obvious choice, but we were curious about the Vegan Pies. We asked our waitress what her favorite was and she said, "apple-berry pie." So we splurged and shared both desserts. Both were delicious. The pie was especially amazing - it was probably more of a crumble...but still...Vegan pie is the way to go.

I am still regretting that I didn't take pictures. Now I just have a good excuse to go back. :)


Afterwards, we were going to see An Education, but we decided dessert was more important, so we decided to hit up the extremely cliche movie, Valentine's Day. It was surprisingly cute and funny. I was worried that all of the cast members would get confusing but they did a really good job of tying the stories together.



Sunday morning, I woke up to breakfast in bed...banana chocolate chip pancakes. After church, we ended up taking a long afternoon nap. I made Rosemary Shrimp Skewers with Couscous and Garlic Black Bean Green Beans for dinner. We topped off the evening by using our fondue pot (that we got for our wedding a year and a half ago) for the first time and dipped strawberries, bananas, and pineapple in chocolate. YUM.

So maybe we celebrated Valentine's by eating and maybe we gained 5 pounds within in 24 hours.
We like to eat. And it was worth it. 

4 comments:

Emmers said...

Maybe I went to Valentine's Day TWICE already... I liked it. I also feel like I should tell you my favorite vegetable is collard greens.

Lauren said...

DOLLAR MOVIE SPRING BREAK

Jessie said...

Ipanema is probably my favorite restaurant in Richmond (and I've tried many)! You have to try the smoked gouda and tomato sandwich with sweet potato fries and the ginger-carrot salad, as well as the grilled tofu sandwich (the one on the dinner menu). I love meat but this veggie restaurant is amazing (and cheap)!! I would be happy to go there with you ANYTIME!!

Dallings said...

I will have to try this place, but I am afraid of tofu. I didn't know you were a cook. You made me hungry.