Friday, September 17, 2010

Roanoke

In late June, when I was already in Texas, I got an email from a former boss of mine. Two years ago, I audited the Summer Food Service Program in Houston. I was able to live at my parents house (which they liked because they didn't have get me a hotel) and they rented me a car. I had requested recommendations from them and so they knew I now lived in Virginia. They had a possible contract come up at the last minute in Virginia and asked if I would be willing to work again for them. I had a week where I would be available from when I got back from Texas and when I started my internship. They have employment opportunities all over, VA included, and I also figured it would be a great way to meet local contacts for other possible employment opportunities post internship. It also helped that they paid pretty well. I assumed that I would be working in Richmond (staying at my home) and they could rent me a car again. They rented me a car, but all of my work ended up being in southwestern Virginia. I missed Aaron's birthday and I had a near panic attack from the stress of the job and all of the driving. It was crazy and not nearly as organized as Texas was. Anyways, it's all over now and I've got my paychecks so it was worth it, but I can't believe how crazy it was and how crazy it made me.

I spent one night in Roanoke and I enjoyed it. It was fun playing tourist by myself.

Tudor style hotel


Taubman Museum of Art...Thursday nights everyone gets in free...so of course I went. It wasn't that impressive; I breezed through pretty quickly. I also entered a contest to win $10 to the museum gift shop and I WON! I got a mug with a picture of Van Gogh on it...when it gets hot, Van Gogh's ear disappears...it's incredible. 

And...here's a view from a few days later in the mountains of Virginia...looking down into Bluefield, VA/WV. 


1 comment:

The Fox Family said...

hahah! i will have to see that cup. hilarious!