Our second day in Rome was our "ancient" day. We basically rolled out of bed in the morning and braved the heat (side note: we basically showered at night anyway because we would get SO sweaty and hot during the day - loved Italy, I do not recommend visiting in June for this reason) to see all of the ancient sites. We had a private tour guide who took us to Palatine Hill, then to the Roman Forum and the Triumphal Arch, and made our finall stop at the Colosseum. I don't remember all the details, but in a word - wow. The Collosseum was probably the most incredible because it's bigger than you think it is, and I think most stadiums today are patterend after it. It sat about 50,000 people! That's incredible.
| Ancient floors |
| "All Roads Lead to Rome" |
| Sweltering Heat |
After we basically sweat off all of the fluid that ever entered our bodies, lunch was on our mind. Our tour guide walked us to a pub nearby that she recommended. The service was fantastic and we were able to share our plates and get our fill of vegetables as well.
After lunch, we went back to the hotel to rest a bit and then get ready for our photoshoot! When Aaron realized he had enough days off to come, we thought it would be amazing to get our family photos taken in Rome! Since Talyn was soon to be added to the family, the picture we had taken before Colby's mission wasn't going to cut it anymore. We coordinated our outfits across three states and I think it worked out ok. As the shortest person by 3 whole inches, I opted to wear platform 4-inch heels and I did pretty well on the cobblestones. We had a fabulous photographer, Anna of Cinderella Images, who was an American woman married to an Italian. She mostly photographs weddings but she agreed to shoot us in sights across Rome. It was sweltering outside but we also had a van drive us around in between locations so that we could cool off. And we tried to stay in the shade as much as possible. Here are some images for your viewing pleasure. I think my favorite picture is us with the gelato - perfectly personifies the trip.
We went to a restaurant for dinner per Anna's recommendation - it wasn't stellar but it was ok. And of course we topped off the evening with some gelato.





No comments:
Post a Comment