Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I went to Idaho

...without my husband. I know, I go on trips without Aaron frequently, but it is kind of weird for you to go visit your husband's hometown without him, even if you've been visiting nearly every summer since you were a kid. But I haven't been to Idaho without Aaron since we've been married. So it was strange to be there without him. Anyways, so I met my family there the week before I started my last semester of grad school (Aaron was already in the throes of another semester and in the clinic) and just two weeks after I had started my job at Henrico Doctor's (oops!). I was also able to spend some time with my in-laws both in Idaho Falls and in Island Park.

Our first 3 days/2 nights were supposed to be spent backpacking in Yellowstone. We still went, but due to the high volume of mosquitoes and the, um, poor planning by my dad and brother, we cut it short by one night once we got there. We hiked 10.5 miles on the first day, and then were supposed to move another campsite about 2 miles further from our original one (Yellowstone won't let you stay more than one night in one place) and hike around that area, then hike the 12 or so miles back on the last day. I was lead to believe that we would only be hiking 6 miles in with backpacks, able to leave our stuff at the same campsite, hike the second day with no backpack, and then hike out only 6 miles with backpacks. Obviously, I was misled. So even though I survived and didn't complain that much, I wasn't mentally prepared for such a hike, especially since it was my first time. Additionally, the mosquitoes were murderous. My brother probably got over 100 bites and my mom got pretty eaten up too. I, either don't react to their venom/poison/spit, and/or I taste bad because I had a few bites but they didn't itch at all. Lucky me. Either way, with the distance plus mosquitoes we knew it was a losing battle. So we decided it would be best to just camp the one night and hike back out the next day. Colby, Mom, and I hiked straight out, and Dad and my brother's friend, Daniel, fished along the way back. The hike back was about 9.5 miles (the way in was longer because we took a loop out of the way to hike next to the river). I'm going to go ahead and say that I am rock star because I hiked 20 miles with a giant backpack on in 2 days. I had 3 huge blisters on my big toe, and my other leg was consequently sore for the next few days, but overall, I survived.

Our last meal at Big Jud's before the hike

Crossing one of the Bridges
 We also had to "wade across the river" at one point. We had been told it would be easy to wade across in waders. I don't have waders so I had just planned to use my mom's once she had crossed. But Colby offered to carry me across and I was ok with it. My dad took a video of my mom and I crossing and I found it hilarious. It is probably only funny to my family so don't feel obligated to watch.


Bechler Falls


On the Trail
Colby and I at the falls - not far from our campsite



We awoke Saturday morning to an eager Aaron calling us to tell us about the additional backpacking gear he acquired at the REI garage sale in Richmond, so it looks like more backpacking is in my future :).

The backpacking was definitely the highlight (and the most photographed) part of trip.  While in Idaho Falls, we ate at the Snakebite and got ice cream at Reed's dairy. We also went to the Playmill to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Grandpa and I ate in classy West Yellowstone while the guys fished the Madison River).

We also hung around out our cabin, ate at Boondocks, and went fishing at Grandpa's pond. When my dad and I went at night, we put on our waders and got in the pond. The only problem is that my feet are relatively small compared to the giant boots you have to put on over the waders so they don't snag a rock and my keens weren't wide enough. So I had these giant, clodhopper boots on that weren't ideal for moving around in. Then the bottom of the pond was super slippery and so I had absolutely no traction. I waded in to one portion, got stuck and while I was trying to get out to go to another area I slipped and fell and totally destroyed the whole point of waders. I was soaking wet. My dad just laughed and took a picture...it was pretty funny. The next day I actually caught a fish and didn't fall in the water...so overall pretty successful.

Fishing at Grandpa's Pond at Sunset

Fishermen

Top: Fishing and Falling in the Water; Bottom: successfully catching a fish!

It was a fun trip, but I was glad to get back home and get back to work and start school.

3 comments:

lovintheempteenest said...

Oh yes . . laughing at the video . . I wonder what would have happened if you had gotten you toes wet?

lovintheempteenest said...

You need to caption your fishing pics "Fisherwoman"

Ryan and Lisa Applonie said...

YOUR ALIVE!!! That trip looked like so much fun but you never mentioned poker?!? oh and gotta love some big judds and boondocks :)