Aaron and I spent our summer working up at my Grandpa's cabin - painting, fixing, etc. Our last order of business was to clean out the kitchen. We had to do this sneakily - as my Grandpa likes to keep everything and just doesn't really take the time to clean it. My grandpa went to Idaho Falls to pick up my uncle at the airport and so as soon as he pulled out of the driveway, we got to work. We unearthed some interesting things - a plate with a mysterious object on it underneath a towel (a ham), a pitcher filled with what appeared to be maggots and juice(apparently it was margarita mix), rotten fruits and vegetables, and many other disgusting fridge finds. It was a success and when my aunt Jenny saw us on the fourth of July she just said, "thank you, thank you!!"

Modeling the Clean Freezer
We spent the rest of the day hanging out with my parents and that night we went on a little fishing trip! Aaron and my Dad are seasoned fly fishers but my mom and I...not so much. So we got a little lesson and learned how!

We returned on the Fourth of July and had a fun FUN time. My grandpa always throws a big party and does a golf tournament on his homemade course, he's got horseshoes, BB gun shooting, wiffle ball, fishing, fireworks, friends, family, and food.


The Monday following the Fourth of July was my Grandma's Memorial Service - it was a perfect tribute to her. We read poems, talked about our memories of her and felt a sense of closure. We also had a dinner at Boondocks and followed it up by scattering her ashes into Hotel Creek, the creek that runs through my grandpa's property in Island Park. Before we scattered her ashes, we sang a song called that went like this...
"Peace I ask of thee, O river, peace, peace, peace.
When I learn to live serenely, cares will cease.
From the hills I gather courage, vision of the day to be,
Strength to lead and faith to follow, all are given unto me.
Peace I ask of thee, O river, peace, peace, peace."
It was beautiful and I know she was happy with what we did for her.
Aaron left that night so that him and his dad could go on a backpacking trip before we left Idaho. I stayed up in Island Park with my parents until they left on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, my mom, my Aunt Jenny, my cousin Hazel, her boyfriend Fernando, and I went on a hike in Box Canyon and took a picnic lunch! It was a nice hike and we saw lots of cool scenery. I remembered the time four years ago when my friends and I tubed down Box Canyon around the fourth and how cold we were!

That night, we went fishing again and I scored! I didn't catch any fish previously, but this night I caught 7! They were all too small to keep but it was so much fun! Aaron was excited that I had a good time and I think he's got a good fishing buddy now if we can find somewhere to go around Virginia.
The next day we sent my parents off with a lunch at the Snakebite in Idaho Falls! What a fun trip; I wish we could have had more time!
No comments:
Post a Comment