Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Move

Well, I'm still waiting for pictures from my parents from the fourth of July with the Crabtrees and the memorial service for my Grandma. So here's a rundown of our move across the country!

First, we stopped in Utah to spend the night with family. On the way down we stopped at the "This is the Place" Monument. My other grandmother, Nanny Audrey, passed away almost two years ago and in the slideshow with pictures of her life and everything, she has a picture next to this monument. I've always wanted to see it and take a picture with it. And I had to before we left Utah. I was actually quite overcome with emotion and I was reminded of both my grandmothers...Angels truly are near us.



The next day we picked up our Penske truck. After switching from a 12' to a 16' truck we finally got everything loaded up. We probably would have been ok with the smaller truck, but I freaked out and we switched anyway. We could have towed our car with the bigger truck (we couldn't with the 12' truck) but the towing option was $400. Yikes! Aaron, his parents, and Nate loaded up the truck while I got the alignment fixed on the car. (Thanks for all of your help guys!) We ate our last meal at Cafe Rio and then headed out only about 30 minutes later than we had planned.
We drove all the way through Wyoming to Kimball, Nebraska our first night. We stayed at the sketchiest place - the Arabian Motel. I would not recommend it ever to anyone. I was really tempted to go to the Days Inn next door. I didn't sleep well AT ALL this night. You can't beat $39 for one night though!





The next day we drove from Kimball, NE to Kingdom City, MO. This day was fairly uneventful as Nebraska is BORING. I saw LOTS of corn. We passed through Iowa and then into Missouri. I can't say I would like to do this part of the drive again. I did enjoy listening to The Beatles "Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey" medley while we drove through KC. That was probably the highlight of my day. sad. We stayed at a Days Inn and were grateful for the major upgrade from the Arabian Motel.



On Day 3 of our trip, we stopped in St Louis at the arch. The All-Star game and all of the surrounding festivities were going on while we were there.I would have LOVED to go to, but tickets were ridiculously priced and the All-Star game is overrated anyway. There were baseball fans everywhere though and I LOVED IT! We got a quick picture and then drove through Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky and ended up in Beckley, WV. We got lucky enough to stay at a Comfort Inn. This part of the country was very nice and I enjoyed this day much more than the previous. Unfortunately, because of the lost camera charger debacle of 2009 (we still haven't found it and for now we are borrowing a friend's) and the fact that Aaron took his digital camera fishing results in much fewer pictures and eventually none.



Our final day of traveling was only a four hour drive to Richmond! We got camera phone pictures with the state sign and we arrived at our wonderful, curry-smelling apartment. We are loving the upgrade and maintenance is working on getting rid of the smell. We'll see. No picture of the apartment yet! It's so not ready but furniture is set to arrive this week!





I'm way behind on blogging, but I'm hoping to get caught up soon! We've done so many fun things since we've been here already!

1 comment:

Ryan and Lisa Applonie said...

I'm glad that you guys are settled in. I am not very exciting about driving through Nebraska either!!

We missed you at Raspberry Days :( Can't wait to see your apartment and be only 12 hours apart!!