This recipe is from an old family friend, Sarah Stapley.
I am in no way suggesting that this recipe is healthy. In fact, it is the exact opposite. It is one of those "once a year ONLY" recipes. Not only do you appreciate it that much more, but no one can afford these calories (except maybe Aaron).
The cake itself is just from a box, but if you have a good recipe, feel free to use that one.
This frosting worked great for generous icing heaps on cupcakes. If you want to make an actual cake, I suggest baking the cake in two round pans and then layering the frosting - the recipe should make enough.
Ingredients:
- 1 German chocolate cake mix
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on box. Let cool.
For the frosting, combine sugar, evaporated milk, egg yolks, and shortening in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil (be careful not overcook the eggs otherwise you will end up with yellow flecks all through your icing). Remove from heat and add vanilla, coconut, and nuts. Mix well to combine.
1 comment:
Yay!!! THANKS SO MUCH Lauren!! I have been anxiously awaiting!! I can't wait to try them! They look so so so yummy! Thanks again!
Post a Comment