I completed a rotation for my internship with the American Dietetic Association's Washington DC office. Between my masters in public administration and my future RD credential, this rotation was sort of a "dream rotation" for me. I networked with people at this office at the conference in Boston and my internship director was able to score me 2.5 weeks here. It was a great experience. I had my own office, complete with a computer and a phone. I worked on a couple of projects while I was there. I wrote an issue brief about Raw Milk and the importance of pasteurization. I also helped develop materials to get RDs involved with the First Lady's Let's Move campaign. I also went to congressional hearings and visited with legislative staffers on the Hill. It was fascinating to sit in on a hearing for the PPACA (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) and hear the budget debate between Republicans and Democrats. Overall, I don't think this "Washington DC/lobbyist lifestyle" is for me, but I really gained a greater understanding of how our political system works and got fired up to advocate at local and state levels.
My grandpa Larry is a real champ and let me stay with him for the whole 2.5 weeks, took me to and from the metro stop every day, and made me dinner each night! Each night we'd watch Jeopardy, read the paper, and watch whatever else was on TV. Even though he complained that he had to wake up a whole half an hour early every morning to get me to the metro, I think he liked having me there. It was a fun opportunity for us spend some more time together.
Aaron came up to visit one weekend and we went to see the Cherry Blossoms, the WWII Memorial, and to the Newseum. We had fun.



1 comment:
That sounds like a really interesting rotation!
Post a Comment