The verdict is in...
After three application processes and all the blood, sweat, and tears associated with it...
I was FINALLY matched to a dietetic internship!
I will be interning, starting in August for 11 months, with the VCU Health System!
I am so thrilled. This has been my first choice all along and I couldn't be happier.
This hasn't been an easy process for me. My undergraduate degree was in dietetics; a degree that is essentially useless unless you complete a dietetic internship and then take the Registered Dietitian (RD) exam. These internships are usually unpaid and actually require a fee or tuition, and they are usually 9 months to a year long. Most internships use a computer matching system for the admissions process, much like the one used for medical school residencies, except that instead of going to a ceremony where you open an envelope, you log into a website and the computer says either "I regret..." or "I am pleased..."
One year ago, on computer match day I got the "I regret..." message. We were graduating from BYU and moving to Richmond where Aaron had gotten in to dental school, but I hadn't been matched to any internships here. Ultimately, of course, I ended up applying to the MPA program at VCU and getting in. The VCUHS internship also did admission for January. I applied for the internship then and was not matched again. This time though, the program director, who I have met with a few times, emailed me to let me know that I was the next person on their list to accept. This was disappointing yet so encouraging.
Through the program director's help, I was able to start volunteering at the VCUHS hospital in January with a research dietitian. She has been a really good friend and mentor and is on the committee for the internship admissions. She told me in February, after applications were turned in, that she thought it was great that I kept on trying and that she was going to give me a 5 (out of 5). I was so excited to hear that and I hoped she was plugging me to other dietitians on the committee too.
(I had also applied to 2 other internships for the fall and seriously would have been pleased with any result.)
Monday, I logged onto DND Digital at 7pm and got the "I am pleased..." message for the first (and last!) time! I was in my policy class when I found out on my tiny little iPod screen and jumped up and ran out of class! I was shaking and crying tears of joy! I couldn't believe it!
Here's the proof:
I had so many people pulling for me and I honestly can't express how happy I am. This is my dream and as much as I love my MPA program, dietetics is truly my passion! I am so grateful for this opportunity and I can't wait to get started. I will be deferring my MPA for a year and returning for my final semester in the fall of 2011. By December of 2011, I will be Lauren Laird, MPA, RD.
Reasons why the VCUHS internship is awesome:
1. Cheapest tuition out of all the internships I applied to, which means the remaining money in my college fund can go towards paying off my student loans for my MPA
2. Aaron goes to dental school across the street from the hospital: meaning car rides and lunches together!
3. All of my rotations except for a month's worth will be at the VCUHS hospital.
4. A short commute!
5. My undergraduate program director really is BFFs with my soon-to-be internship director.
6. Many more reasons I'm sure I will discover. :)
6. Many more reasons I'm sure I will discover. :)
Lessons I have learned throughout this process:
1. I don't always know what's best for me; Heavenly Father has much bigger and better plans that I don't always understand.
2. I was definitely meant to get this darned MPA. I definitely wouldn't have considered an MPA a year ago if I had gotten an internship. I didn't care for my MPA program during my first semester and if I had been matched for January, I wonder if I would have gone back to finish. I've really grown to like it a lot more this semester and now I'm only one semester away from graduating!
3. Networking MATTERS. I honestly believe I would not have been matched had I not met with VCU's program director, who knew my undergrad director really well, who hooked me up with the dietitian I volunteered with, who may have recommended me to others.
4. I LOVE dietetics. If anything, I wanted the internship more this time around than any other time. My passion has grown so much more and I am READY!

7 comments:
Congrats! Thanks for sharing those thoughts. It's really encouraging and makes me think about my career. ahhh. One day... One day...
Congrats Lauren!! I remember how hard you worked everyday when we were room mates. You deserve everything good coming to you! I'm happy for you :)
congrats congrats! I am so happy for yoU! We were pulling for you! I wish that I could have lunch with Bri everyday!!
Cheers to having dreams worth making come true!
CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK!!
congrats Lauren that is awesome!!!!!
Dreams really do come true . . .especially when you work for them like you have instead of just dreaming about them. You will never ever regret your choice and efforts be improve your education. No matter what you do - it is a huge benefit. By the way . . . .I love that you love food!
Post a Comment